top of page
Introduction: Designing a Spatula
This project introduces methodologies for the generation of forms with complex transitional surfaces. Through observation and experimentation, I designed a spatula out of solid wood. By using a band saw to make four distinct cuts and 180 grit sandpaper, I was able to accurately generate a spatula to my specifications.
Project Brief: Objectives & Challenges
- To introduce basic approaches in form-giving.
- To develop fluency in expressing ideas through two dimensional orthographic representation and sketching.
- To exercise critical judgement in the analysis of two and three-dimensional forms.
- Sketching and exploring form
- Exploring usability and functionality
Prototyping with blue foam, bandsaw, orbital sander, and sanding blocks
- Plan and illustrate production process
- Produce final product using poplar wood
bottom of page